Housing Choice Voucher Program (Section 8)

Operated by the Boone county Public Housing Agency dba Mid-Missouri Public housing Agency, through a contract with Central Missouri Community Action, the Housing Choice Voucher (Section 8) Program provides rental assistance to low income individuals and families in Callaway (except in the city limits of Fulton), Cole, Cooper, Howard, Moniteau, and Osage counties.

The program helps to pay a subsidy amount towards the rent of low-income persons, so they can live in the house, condo, duplex, townhome, apartment, or mobile home of their choice. Rental units must meet the standards of health and safety, as determined by Mid-Missouri Public housing Agency (MMPHA). The housing subsidy is paid directly to the landlord by MMPHA on behalf of the participating family. The family then pays the difference between the actual rent charged by the landlord and the amount subsidized by the program. View our Frequently Asked Questions.

Starting February 1st, 2017, we will be accepting applications. We will provide more information about the waitlist reopening to the general public at a later date.

Our office address is

800 North Providence
Columbia, MO 65203
Phone: (573) 443-8706 ext. 1050
Fax: (573) 340-1513

*MMPHA wait list is accepting pre-applications on 02/01/2017.

*This program does not provide for emergency housing situations or needs.

To print a pre-application for the Housing Choice Voucher (Section 8) Program CLICK HERE .

For information on Section 8 in Boone County visit ColumbiaHA.com
For information on Section 8 in Audrain County visit MexicoHA.com

Frequently Asked Questions

What counties are covered by the MMPHA Section 8 program?
Callaway, Cole, Cooper, Howard, Moniteau and Osage counties are in the service area of MMPHA.

I want to live in Columbia/Boone County. Where do I apply?
Columbia Housing Authority. The office is located at 201 Switzler, Columbia MO.

How long does it take to come up on the waiting list for Section 8 rental assistance?
The amount of time spent on the waitlist varies between 9 months to 2 years.

What are the requirements for a Housing Choice Voucher inspection?
Our Housing Choice Voucher inspections are based on Housing Quality Standards. The inspections that are done are based on these regulations. A Good Place to Live

If I find a unit where the landlord takes Section 8 do I move up the list faster?
No. The Section 8 waitlist moves by the time that the completed application is received.

Once I come up on the list, how long do I have to find a place?
Once it is determined that the applicant qualifies for Section 8 assistance, a voucher is issued for 60 days. A unit must be found and inspected within this time period.

Is Section 8 limited in the amount of rent that it can pay?
Yes. HUD sets fair market rent according to the county and bedroom size. Section 8 cannot pay more than the maximum limit and can only pay the limit if the rent is reasonable according to the quality of the unit and the area that the unit is located.

How long do I have to stay in a place once I am participating in the Section 8 program?
All Section 8 leases are for an initial term of one year.

Can I move my Section 8 rental assistance?
Yes. You may move your assistance within the MMPHA service area. Section 8 housing choice vouchers can be portable within the United States. Housing choice vouchers become portable if you can provide proof that you lived in the service area when you applied and after 1 full year’s participation in the program.

Can I be working and still qualify for Section 8 rental assistance?
Yes. The income guidelines for Section 8 are such that it is possible to be working and still qualify for Section 8.

Can a single individual qualify for Section 8 assistance?

What if my income changes while I’m receiving Section 8 rental assistance?
A recertification is performed once a tenant has participated in the Section 8 program for a year. If income changes before the end of the year, tenants are required to contact the MMPHA staff so an interim recertification can be done to determine if there is a change in the amount of rent the tenant might pay.

How much will I pay toward my rent?
The tenant’s share of rent is set according to their income and in most cases they will never pay more than 40% of their monthly income toward rent.

Department of Mental Health – Rental Assistance Program

The Rental Assistance Program (RAP) is a transitional housing program that is operated by Central Missouri Community Action in Audrain, Boone, and Cole Counties. It provides short to medium term assistance to bridge the gap between a housing crisis and permanent housing for those with mental disabilities. A person must be disabled, receiving services from the Missouri Department of Mental Health (DMH), experiencing a housing crisis that will result in homelessness or eviction, and be income qualified.

Participants MUST contact the Missouri Department of Mental Health and be referred to CMCA by DMH.

Shelter + Care

The Shelter + Care program provides permanent housing rental assistance to those who are currently homeless and have mental disabilities. Central Missouri Community Action provides Shelter + Care assistance to those in Audrain, Cole, and Cooper Counties and who are referred to the agency by the Missouri Department of Mental Health.